The St. Vincent Grammar School, an all boys institution, opened its doors in September 1908 with a student body of 13 boys and under a Resident Master Mr. F. W. Reeves.Students entered the school at 8 years of age until 1948 when the Kingstown Preparatory School was established to cater for students from ages 5 to 11.
Over the years after its opening, the school has seen many changes in its physical structure. It has been expanded to accommodate the growing student population.
Although for most of its existence the school was a boys’ school, in 1948 for ‘greater economy and efficiency’, combined classes were held with its neighbouring sister school, the Girl’s High School.
This was mainly at the Sixth Form level but also involved at times the fourth and fifth forms of both schools. Eventually, Science classes from the Girls High School were accommodated at the Grammar School’s laboratory.
This union went on until there was a combined sixth form housed at the Grammar School. Later, an independent Sixth Form College was established in St. Vincent.
In 2008, the St. Vincent Grammar School became the first educational institution in St. Vincent and the Grenadines to celebrate 100 years of existence.